I love these words

I love these words

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Reason #4 My Boy!

No problems today with writing about my grateful heart! 23 years ago God gave us a gift - a son, when we thought we may never have children. Today we helped him move out of his university flat ready for the next step of his life's journey to begin as he finished his law degree yesterday. His new stage will include marrying his gorgeous fiancĂ©e next year and entering the world of work.


This boy of mine has become a man! Last year I had to tell him the news I had cancer, twice! And each time he just rose to the occasion, looking for ways to support me, suddenly becoming very protective if I was walking through crowds during chemo, checking I was alright 20 times a day, skyping me on my worst chemo days to cheer me up. I love this amazing young man and I am so proud of him. Having cancer as a parent adds a whole new layer. As a mother my role has always been to protect and defend my children ... and suddenly I had to tell them something that devastated their world and could do nothing to fix it. There was no promises that had always come so easily 'I promise it will be okay' and no point telling them not to worry. I had no strength to hide them from the hell that chemo put my body through. Yet it didn't break them, they were tougher than I realised.


This last year has been tough ... but the one thing I always knew, my children had hope. They believed and kept their trust in a loving, kind and good God, and whatever was going to happen, they knew and I knew, we had eternity to look forward to. Our faith gives us so much that we don't even know is there until it is tested, most of all HOPE!


As I look at my son who was my first child and is now a man, my heart sings! He is ready for his future and we are now in a time of transition, from his place in our home to building his own. Of course I am sad that this time we have had together is ending but I am so excited for his future. Cancer has robbed us of none of the joy we have as a family or the hope we have for the future. I will be forever grateful to God that he gave us the greatest gift we could have wished for.

No comments:

Post a Comment